In 2013 the Mississippi Legislature enacted House Bill 716 which establishes the Starkville Consolidated School District, a county-wide municipal separate school district governing schools in Oktibbeha County effective July 1, 2015.
As a result of this legislation, the residents of Oktibbeha County are now embarking on a new chapter in shouldering one of the greatest responsibilities of citizenship: educating our children. This landmark school consolidation effort will serve as an example for our state and will impact the ways public education is reformed and refined in communities across Mississippi for years to come. The greatest impact of these cooperative efforts, however, will be the direct impact in our own homes and streets — common threads like Rockhill, Montgomery, Pin Oak, and Craig Springs, woven deep in the fabric of this community.
ALL of our children live in Oktibbeha County, and we share a common responsibility to enhance their future through educational opportunities. Their future is OUR future.
It is this impact on the future of the greater Starkville area that deserves our highest diligence as we educate and nurture our community’s greatest potential, the children living in Oktibbeha County. We stand ready to accept the challenges of this expanded responsibility with a common focus. We MUST succeed, and we must succeed TOGETHER.
Keeping these realities at the forefront of our efforts, Parents for Public Schools of Starkville and the Starkville Foundation for Public Education jointly make the following pledge to the children of Oktibbeha County:
As partners in the implementation of the Starkville Consolidated School District and as shareholders in the successful future of children in Oktibbeha County, WE PLEDGE…
1. To continue to improve our community’s quality of life and thriving economy through excellence in public education.
2. To advocate vigorously for the future of every child in Oktibbeha County, recognizing that theirs is OUR common future.
3. To set the example that potential and opportunity are not governed by home address.
4. To apply the full measure of our creativity, energy, and due diligence — not merely to the combination of administrative resources, but to a shared investment in those greatest of resources, our children.
5. To pursue a system of education that is both rigorous and relevant to spark the full potential of each child toward a life of productive and engaged citizenship, whether achieved by a collegiate or vocational path.
6. To utilize our facility and human resources in strategic and prudent ways that will maximize learning potential for all students living in Oktibbeha County.
7. To develop an evolving set of creative, multi-disciplined learning experiences knowing that achievement begins with opportunity.
8. To seek the continued involvement of all parents in Oktibbeha County as partners in the educational process.
9. To establish a shared culture of pride, trust, and respect in every school that will foster the highest motivation for achievement.
10. To champion every avenue of success in the Starkville Consolidated School District, whether through academics, athletics, arts, extra-curricular involvement, vocational studies, or college preparation.
Further, we call upon all parents, educators, constituents, and the business community; Oktibbeha County’s largest employer, Mississippi State University; our elected officials at the city, county, and state level; as well as members of the Mississippi Department of Education and the Mississippi Legislature, who serve as partners in this endeavor, to add YOUR names in support of this pledge, confirming your commitment to the children of Oktibbeha County and our common future.